Candy hearts, romantic steak dinners and a box of chocolates are fine and all, but this Valentine's Day, say "I love you" the DEZ way—that is, with silky hummus that's been dyed red by sweet roasted beets. This recipe from the buzzy New York restaurant calls for soaking chickpeas overnight, but use canned if you must.
Recipe adapted from Eden Grinshpan, DEZ, New York, NY
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes, plus overnight soaking
For the Beets:
4 beets, yellow and red variety
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 cardamom pods, optional
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons salt
For the Hummus:
1½ cups raw chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 teaspoon baking soda
Water to cover
¾ cup raw tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
⅓ cup cooked beets
⅓ to ½ cup ice water (use less for a thicker spread)
For the Garnish:
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, finely grated
½ jalapeño, finely chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Make the beets: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the beets with the vinegar, cardamom (if using), sugar and salt in a deep roasting tray. Pour in water to halfway up the beets, then cover well with foil and place in the oven to roast until a knife slides through the beets easily, around 45 minutes.
2. Remove the beets from the liquid and use a kitchen towel to remove the skin while still hot.
3. Make the hummus: Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place the soaking chickpeas in a deep pot with baking soda. Mix and let cook until dry. Pour in water to cover, then bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and skim the film that forms on top.
4. Let simmer on medium heat until the chickpeas are creamy and break between your fingers when pinched, around 30 minutes. Strain and place in a Vitamix or strong blender with tahini, garlic, salt and beets. Blend, then slowly pour in the ice water until creamy.
5. Make the garnish: Place the extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, jalapeño and salt in a blender and combine until very fine. Top the hummus with the jalapeño mix, beets, mint and pine nuts. Serve warm.
Please check your inbox to verify your email address.