Whole Wheat Dough
1½ sticks unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1¼ cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1½ tablespoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons honey, depending on the sweetness of the peaches
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups peeled and chopped peaches (about 5 to 6 ripe peaches)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Food coloring (optional)
1. Make the dough: In a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking powder and salt. Add the flour and buttermilk into the butter mixture, alternating mixtures until a dough forms. Divide the dough into two balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Place the cream cheese between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and roll into a rectangle about ¼-inch thick. Place on a sheet pan and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Make the peach compote: In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of honey and the cornstarch. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the peaches and cornstarch mixture and cook until the fruit comes to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook until the fruit breaks down, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Taste for sweetness and add more honey as needed. Remove the compote from the saucepan and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
4. To assemble: Remove one dough ball from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a large rectangle, about ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into eight 4-inch-by-3-inch rectangles, rerolling the dough if necessary. Place the rectangles on a parchment-paper-lined sheet pan and chill in the refrigerator. Roll out the second ball of dough and cut into slightly larger rectangles. Place the rectangles on a second parchment-paper-lined sheet pan and chill in the refrigerator.
5. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator and cut into 2-inch-by-3-inch rectangles. Remove the first set of rectangles from the refrigerator and carefully top each with a cream-cheese rectangle and a tablespoon of the reserved peach compote, leaving a ½-inch border.
6. Use a dab of water to slightly dampen the edge of the dough. Remove the second set of dough from the refrigerator and top the first set of rectangles and fruit with the dough. Seal with your fingers and use a fork dipped in flour to finish the seal. Trim the edges of the dough slightly as needed and chill the pop tarts in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 325°. Place the pop tarts in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
8. Make the sugar glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla extract. Whisk in the food coloring if using. Cool the pop tarts on a cooling rack, brush with the sugar glaze and serve.