To learn more about this recipe, read the related story, "Neat Freekeh".
Freekeh Salad with Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Sumac and Dill
Recipe adapted from Jeremy Scheiblauer, Heyday, San Francisco
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
2 cups water
⅔ cup freekeh
½ fresh bay leaf
2¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
2 Persian cucumbers--peeled, quartered lengthwise, and sliced crosswise on a bias into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1½ teaspoons ground sumac (optional; increase the lemon juice and vinegar slightly if not using)
1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets (about 2 cups)
⅓ cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
1. To a small saucepan set over high heat, add the water, freekeh, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the freekeh is tender and has absorbed all of the water, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the freekeh to a rimmed baking sheet and set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, to a medium bowl, add the cucumbers and ½ teaspoon of the salt, mix, and set aside to draw out the moisture. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the vinegar, sumac and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Stir in the shallot and set aside to macerate.
3. Fill a large saucepan with water, add the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower, return to a boil, and cook until the cauliflower is al dente, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the cauliflower into a colander, then transfer to a medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
4. To the shallot mixture, slowly drizzle in the remaining ⅓ cup of olive oil while whisking constantly, until the vinaigrette is creamy and blended.
5. Drain the cucumbers in a sieve if water has collected at the bottom of the bowl, then add them to a large bowl along with the freekeh, cauliflower, dill and the vinaigrette. Toss to combine, taste, and serve with more salt if needed. Calories per Serving: 300; Sodium: 860mg; Total Carbohydrate: 24g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 7g; Fat: 21g