Okra Yakitori Recipe
to 6 servings
- For the Hot Sauce
- 4 cups (8 ounces) Carolina Reaper red chile peppers, destemmed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon shiro miso
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 dried Thai chile, toasted and ground
- For the Olive-Miso Sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 1 tablespoon shiro miso
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh yeast
- White soy sauce, to taste
- For the Okra Yakitori
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 32 medium (12 ounces) okra pods
- Bamboo skewers, for grilling
- 1 habanero chile (optional)
- Make the hot sauce: Add all the hot sauce ingredients to a blender and purée until smooth. Transfer to a sealable plastic bag and let sit at room temperature to ferment for 3 days. Once fermented, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Make the olive-miso sauce: In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter has browned and has a nutty aroma, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the remaining sauce ingredients, and purée until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and set aside.
- Make the okra yakitori: In a medium bowl, stir the water, salt and okra together to rinse the pods. Drain well, then dry with paper towels.
- Light a grill. Skewer the okra pods, placing 8 pods on each skewer. Grill the skewers, flipping once, on the hottest portion of the grill until lightly charred, 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the okra skewers to a platter and top with the olive and hot sauces, then serve.