Banana Lumpia Recipe
- 5 bananas
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 10 lumpia sheets
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- very fine sugar, for serving
- caramel dipping sauce, for serving
- Set the 5 bananas on a cutting board with the skin still on.
- Chop off the top and bottom of each banana.
- Slice all of the bananas vertically in half before removing the skin.
- Slice off the top and the bottom of each banana again to make sure that the ends are straight.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar onto a large plate.
- Roll each slice of banana into the sugar, then set them aside.
- Lay a lumpia sheet out on a flat surface, and place a banana horizontally in one corner.
- Fold the corner of the sheet over the banana, then fold over the edges of the sheet into the middle, and begin to roll the banana lumpia.
- When you reach the end of the sheet, using a pastry brush, seal the last part of the lumpia with water.
- Repeat steps 7 through 9 for all 10 lumpia sheets.
- Heat a pot of oil on medium-high heat.
- Once it's hot, fry the banana lumpia for 3 minutes, flipping them midway through.
- Transfer the banana lumpia to a serving dish, and serve them topped with very fine sugar and caramel sauce, if desired.