Enjoy this story from our archive, originally sent to TT members on 1/3/2013.
Booze You Can Use
Your first "cocktail" of 2013
Grapefruit, meet Margarita.
After the party-heavy holiday season, you may need hair of the dog. For our first antioxidant-rich Fresh Start recipe from the Test Kitchen, we've essentially infused grapefruit--high in lycopene and vitamins A and C--with the makings of a Margarita: tequila blanco, tangerine juice, Cointreau or Grand Marnier, and agave syrup. After a quick maceration, the tart, boozy citrus fruit takes center stage in a salad with avocado, Asian pear and fresh mint. A cocktail masquerading as a salad? It is a New Year.
Tipsy Grapefruit Salad
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen
Yield: 4 servings
2 tablespoons tequila blanco
2 tablespoons fresh tangerine juice (or orange juice)
1. Macerate the grapefruit: Grate a pinch of zest from the lime and set aside for the salad. Juice the lime and add 1 tablespoon of juice to a medium bowl (save the rest of the lime juice for the salad). To the lime juice, add the tequila, tangerine juice, Cointreau and agave syrup and whisk to combine.
2. On a cutting board, slice off the ends of a grapefruit and stand it upright. Slice off the peel in long strips, working from top to bottom and removing all of the white pith. Hold the grapefruit over the bowl with the tequila mixture and slice between each membrane to release the grapefruit segments into the bowl. Once all of the segments are removed, squeeze the remaining core and membranes, catching the juice in the bowl. Repeat with the other grapefruit. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Make the salad: On a cutting board, halve the avocado, remove the pit, peel the avocado halves and thinly slice. Drizzle the reserved lime juice over the avocado slices.
4. In a medium bowl, add the salt, sugar, cayenne and reserved lime zest and use your fingers to rub together. Add the Asian pear slices, red pepper and mint and toss to combine.
5. Place the Asian pear mixture on a platter. Top with the avocado slices. Drain the grapefruit into a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl or pitcher. Add the grapefruit to the salad. In a small bowl ,whisk 2 tablespoons of the grapefruit-tequila mixture with the grapeseed oil. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve. Calories per Serving: 213; Sodium: 217mg; Total Carbohydrate: 27g; Fiber: 8g; Fat: 10g
Need help with this week’s recipe? Get advice and tips from our Tasting Table Test Kitchen about this week’s recipe.
To-Dos allows Tasting Table members to store and remember all of the food and
drink recommendations we send out each week. You've now added the To-Dos below to your personal list.
You can access your To-Do list at any time by visiting http://TastingTable.com
and clicking "Member Login" in the future. Happy eating!