For the Caramel Sauce:
⅔ cup sugar
¾ cup heavy cream, heated until hot but not boiling
½ teaspoon sea salt
For the Snickers Ice Cream:
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup caramel sauce
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped fine, chilled in freezer
1 cup roughly chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, chilled in freezer
1. Make the caramel sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sprinkle the sugar in an even layer. As soon as some of the sugar begins to melt, use a rubber spatula to fold and stir the melted sugar onto the unmelted sugar. Continue to stir until all of the sugar turns pale golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully stir in the heated cream. Transfer the sauce to a nonreactive bowl and allow to cool slightly before adding the salt. Makes about 1 cup.
2. Make the ice cream: Build an ice bath and set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually ladle the hot milk into the egg yolks, whisking quickly to prevent the yolks from curdling. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve.
3. Combine the hot custard and heavy cream together and transfer to a 1-gallon resealable freezer bag. Seal and submerge the bag in the ice bath until completely chilled, about 20 minutes.
4. Chill the bowl of your ice cream machine. Pour the chilled base into the pre-chilled bowl and follow the manufacturer's instructions to churn until the mixture is a soft-serve ice cream consistency, about 30 minutes.
5. In a plastic container, alternate layers of ice cream, caramel sauce, chocolate and peanuts. Press a sheet of parchment directly onto the surface of the ice cream. Cover the container with a lid and freeze until the ice cream is firm, about 4 hours.