6 large beets, washed and trimmed
1 cup fresh citrus juice (such as tangelo, lime, orange or lemon--or any combination of these)
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tangelos or oranges
1 cup arugula
⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚. Place the beets in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Roast until the beets are tender when poked with a fork, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the beets from the oven. When they're cool enough to handle, peel and let cool completely.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the citrus juice with the shallot. Let the shallot rest in the citrus juice for 10 minutes, then whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cut the beets into wedges and toss them in the vinaigrette. Let the beets marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, working with 1 tangelo at a time, use a sharp knife to remove the peel and pith in strips, following the curve of the fruit. Cut the fruit crosswise into ¼-inch slices. Repeat with the remaining fruit.
4. Remove the beets from the vinaigrette with a slotted spoon and divide among six plates along with the tangelos, reserving the vinaigrette.
5. Top each salad with a handful of arugula leaves and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with the feta and serve.